Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Price of Power

I am a terrible person.

Eric and I received callings today, Primary teachers to the 8 year olds.  It will be fun and I'm pretty excited.  The calling was going to be announced during Sacrament Meeting today and we were running late.  Of course.  When something important is set to happen of course you will run late.

So we pulled in to the parking lot, jumped out of the car and walked as quickly as possible without looking ridiculous.  Our progress was slowed by an elderly woman wearing high heels.  Not just a few inches but 4 or 5 inch heels.  They were intense. 

She was walking slowly in the middle of the sidewalk and there was no getting around her.  So Eric and I slowed down and walked behind her.  The entire time I was following her I was thinking to myself, "High heels are the stupidest thing in the world.  There is no reason for her to be wearing these monsters.  Oh my gosh! Hurry up! We're running late and they are going to announce that we are the new primary teachers and we will sure look dumb walking in right then... Stupid high heels! Stupid old lady! She can't even walk in those stupid things." As that was all going through my mind we reached the stairs up to the door.  I thought, "Finally!" and then the woman fell.  And it wasn't like a little stumble.  No, she fell. Hard.  As Eric and I helped her up and helped her pick her books and glasses up, instantly I felt terrible.  Like I had caused her to fall with my mean thoughts about how stupid her shoes were and how she couldn't even walk in them and I can't believe she was doing this to me and how I was going to be late.

I jumped to the two logical conclusions.  I'm either psychic or we were rushing her by walking behind her.  I'm leaning toward the former.  At any rate, I feel terrible, one, because my abilities caused a frail looking woman in treacherously high heels, who was only trying to look pretty for church, to fall, and two because it really wasn't her fault that Eric and I were running late and that I was frustrated.  I still feel bad about it all and it has been hours.  Even though I didn't know that I was psychic and could make her fall just with mere thoughts the price of power is responsibility and I will keep my mean thoughts to a minimum because, who really deserves the consequences of all of the mean things I think? No one, that's who.

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh! i would have felt horrible, too. i swear, i always feel like stuff like that is my fault. like, every time i'm annoyed by someone and then something bad happens to that person i think it must have been me.
    i guess, deep down, i always knew you were psychic.
    and eight year olds! yay! like, turning 8 or turning 9? because for some reason i think the turning 8 kids are so much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. turning eight kids, i think they will be easier too. they'll be all excited about baptism and being good. at least that's what i'm thinking. and hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sad, I think I have an over heightened sense of empathy 'cause anytime I see someone fall or hurt themselves or embarrass themselves I feel absolutely terrible about it for hours and I can't get it out of my head. I get embarrassed on behalf of them. One time I was at work and I was doing a blanket drive for a women and children shelter and while I was folding a big stack of blankets this chick walks by and I was thinking woah, she looks like a weirdo, why would she dress like that?! Just then she stops and asks if I need help and starts folding blankets with me. I felt AWFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Define elderly. Like me wearing high heels or like Grandma Stockam(if she were still alove) wearing high heels? I wore cute black flats to church today with roses on the toes. Oh ye elderly ladies out there, you don't need to go high in the heels to be cute for church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she had gray hair. I would say mid sixties. and bre, i know exactly what you mean. I'm a super empath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will probably end up being her visiting teacher.

    ReplyDelete