Sunday, September 18, 2011

Attitude

I was doing so well with blogging through August; getting back into the hang of doing it more often but the last nearly 3 weeks I've just not had the time nor the inspiration to write.  School has been tiring and full of changes. 

For the last 5 school years I worked with a wonderful teacher with learning disabled students.  We taught 1st-3rd grades for two years, one year of 1st-6th, and then two years of 4th-6th.  We work wonderfully as a team and counted on working together for this upcoming year.  Much to our dismay the principal told us that I would be working with the new 1st-3rd grade teacher instead.  To say I was upset is an understatement. I was very angry and sad and confused.  We had worked so well with each other for 5 years and made a great team.  Why should the team be split up?  It made no sense.  I had also been working with some of the kids in my class for all of those 5 years and to not be with them as they went through sixth grade was heartbreaking. 

When school started and I began working with the new teacher and the new students I hated it.  I fought back tears many times through the first day when I thought of my other class and students that I missed so much.  I was planning to quit after a few weeks.  I was so unhappy and I didn't know what to do make myself happy again.  I really had loved my job and it seemed so unjust that it was snatched out from under me.  During the second week of school I had the sudden thought that I needed to stay there, not quit, and change my attitude.  For the rest of that week I tried really hard to be happier with my job and the new children that I have the opportunity to teach. 

I allowed myself to fall in love with the 20 kids in my class and become friends with the teacher I now work with.  I have had a much better time since my change in attitude and I'm glad that I decided to follow the prompting to stop being selfish.  I still miss my old class and the teacher that I worked with for so long but I get to say hi to them and chat with them during recess and other times during the day. 

2 comments:

  1. I have had to change my attitude about a lot of things. Every time I do, I am always grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attitude really makes such a difference. I am glad you are happier at work now.

    ReplyDelete