Thursday, January 19, 2012

Berry Frozen Yogurt

I love to watch cooking shows.  One of my favorite TV chefs is Giada de Laurentiis.  She's just so fun to watch and her food always looks amazing.  I saw this frozen yogurt recipe that I really wanted to try so we whipped up a batch and a half this last week.  I made a few revisions to the half batch and it turned out better than the original recipe, in my opinion.  It was more flavorful and had a better texture.



Berry Frozen Yogurt:

1 pound berries (we did blackberries)
2 Tbs. plus 1/3 cup honey
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 cups plain greek yogurt (my favorite brand is Greek Gods)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice

Combine 1/2 c. berries with 2 Tbs. honey, 4 Tbs. water, and sprig of thyme in a small saucepan.  Coarsely mash the berries with a fork.  Place over medium high and bring to a boil.  Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let sit for 15 minutes.  Uncover and let cool slightly, removing the thyme.  In a blender add the yogurt, honey, agave, lemon juice, remaining berries, and cooled syrup.  Blend until nearly smooth.  Pour into a glass bowl or container (the glass helps the frozen yogurt freeze smoothly) and cover.  Freeze until firm, about 8 hours or over night.


  The things I changed: I doubled the amount of syrup I made and I did not use 2% yogurt, whole fat all the way here.  I think those two factors had a lot to do with the consistency of my doctored up batch of frozen yogurt versus the more healthy original version.  I loved this frozen yogurt and can't wait to make it again.  I think I'll try it with raspberries next time around.  If you want the original recipe click here!

2 comments: